Kristin feels that improving writing skills requires diligent practice and the utilization of a multi-faceted approach. No matter the grade level, she focuses on preparing students for future rigorous high school English courses, and recognizes that many school English teachers today do not assign actual writing tasks, for they don't have time or the desire to edit the work. This approach leaves students with an underdeveloped skill set. Thus, students who enroll in Kristin's writing classes can expect to:
- Complete class and homework assignments related to grammar, vocabulary, editing, and more.
- Write essays such as: Response to literature, persuasive, descriptive, expository, and more.
- Read engaging, grade-level novels, short stories, poems, and other works, then participate in lively discussions.
- Complete weekly current event summary and analysis write-ups.
- Prepare for the essay portion of the STAR examination, if in 7th grade.
- Improve critical thinking skills.
- Receive edited work and continue to submit corrected versions until finalized.
- Work hard and have fun!